How to Make the Most of the Bank Holiday Weekend
It won’t be long before this year’s August bank holiday is upon us – from Saturday 29th to Monday 31st, get ready for some of the best summer events available.
Here we look at days out for the whole family to help you forget all about work and start forging memories that will last a lifetime. From Notting Hill Carnival to countryside adventures, there is something for families of all shapes and sizes to make this bank holiday they best yet!
Notting Hill Carnival – Sunday 30th – Monday 31st
Europe’s biggest street festival highlights London’s multicultural past and present. The capital’s Caribbean community has been celebrating their heritage since 1964 at the two day long free festival. With live music from salsa to dub and reggae why not join the celebrations? Tuck into some jerk chicken or fried plantain. If that is not to your taste then why not follow the soca floats or dance along to the sound of steel drums.
England’s Medieval Festival – Saturday 29th – Monday 31st
Situated in the middle of the East Sussex countryside, the 15th century moated Herstmonceau castle is the ideal place for history pundits this bank holiday.
A magnificent celebration of medieval life, the centre piece of the event is a mock-battle featuring 1000 knights, bowmen and men-at-arm who siege the castle twice a day – for your entertainment.
Other activities include jousting competitions, falconry displays, fire-eating and medieval puppeteers complete with 12-foot stick puppets.
If that wasn’t enough, topping off the day is a hog roast! Enough to satisfy those with the biggest appetites.
Hope Cove Weekend – Saturday 29th – Monday 31st
Tucked away in one of South Devon’s most idyllic places, South Hams is offering bank holiday visitors good old fashion seaside fun. With something for everyone from sandcastle competitions to street entertainers and a firework display on Saturday, to Dinghy racing, swimming races and fishing competitions on Sunday. If that wasn’t enough on Monday there is a children’s tug of war and fancy dress competition amongst other things.
Looking to kick back and relax? With live music and a wide selection of food, spend this bank holiday in the picturesque landscape of the South Devonshire Coast.
Star Wars at Madame Tussauds – Until December 31st
Why not spend the bank holiday weekend with some of the most beloved characters from the Star Wars series? The new attraction boasts 16 life-like characters and 11 finished sets from the iconic films.
Spread over two floors visitors can become part of the films visiting Yoda’s swamp or the lava spitting Mustafar. Characters include Luke Skywalker as he battles Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Princess Leia and many many more. Battle through the crowds and may the force be with you as you become a part of one of the world’s biggest movie experiences.
Make the most out of your weekend; don’t struggle with bank holiday public transport. Hiring a vehicle from Nationwide is the best way to make your long weekend memorable for all the right reasons. Pack your bags and family into the car and get ready to travel in comfort with the highest quality cars with all the latest mod cons and fixtures to make your journey the best it can possibly be.
- Hiring the right van for your house move
- London Congestion Charge and vehicle hire: our simple guide
- Driving a minibus needs a permit, but not if you are not taking payment...
- Why are trucks called lorries by the English, Is there a difference?
- What size van will accommodate IKEA furniture?
- Exploring The UK's Top Autumn Getaways
- Discover Britains's Hidden Tourist Gems!
- Exploring Britain's 20 Premier Coastal Towns
- Navigating Europe's Premier Music Festivals
- European Winter Breaks By Car
- Places To Stay On A European Road Trip
- Hiring A Truck To Drive To Europe? Read This First!
- The UK's Best Tech Conferences
- Moving House? A Handy Guide to Stress-Free Moving
- A Sporting Enthusiast's Guide To UK Events
- The Ultimate Advanced Road Driving Safety Guide
- 51 Best Ski & Snowboarding Resorts In Europe
- How to Plan a Glamping Trip Abroad
- Car Insurance Cover: A Guide
- The Best of Rural France