World's Best Drives: Top 5
There’s nothing quite as liberating as cruising along an open road with the windows down, the wind in your hair and spectacular scenery flying by. To get you inspired, we’ve put together a curated collection of the best scenic drives on the planet. Belt up and get ready to be breath taken!
Route 66, USA
Affectionately referred to by state siders as the ‘Main Street of America’ or the ‘Mother Road,’ Route 66 is by far one of THE most famous drives of all time. It’s been captivating road trippers since 1926 and a visit to the USA simply isn’t complete without a selfie beside the famous road sign. Cruise through California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and Illinois while soaking up the dusty desert sights and rich history of the 2448 mile road.
The Great Ocean Road, Australia
For spectacular ocean scenery that attracts hordes of tourists every day of the year, Victoria’s Great Ocean road is an absolute stunner. It stretches 151 miles across Australia’s south east coast, running between the surf town of Torquay and picturesque Allansfor. Keep an eye out for cuddly koalas!
Stelvio Pass, Italy
This mountainous pass is a mecca for Italian bound holidaymakers in search of breath-taking scenery. Perched at an elevation of 9045 feet, it’s the highest paved mountain pass in the Eastern Alps and has even been declared by Top Gear as one of Europe’s greatest drives.
Furka Pass, Switzerland
This drive won the attention of James Bond location scouts which is a serious claim to fame in itself! Nestled in the Swiss Alps, the pass runs at an elevation of 7969 feet and weaves through dramatic mountain scenery.
Isle of Skye
Celebrated as one of the most dramatic landscapes on the planet, the Isle of Skye is rugged, rural and remote. Driving through the winding roads takes holidaymakers past the jagged peaks of the Cuillins, sparse grassy inland fields, glittering lochs and spectacular coastal scenery. Along the way why not stop at the iconic Talisker Distillery, marvel at Kilt Rock or brave a hike up one of the munros?
Ready to rev up your engine and head off on the drive of a lifetime? Nationwide Hire has an extensive fleet of vehicles for every budget. From compact Fiat 500s and luxury executive vehicles to 4x4s that deliver on grunt, there’s a vehicle hire for every European bound scenery seeker.
- Driving a minibus needs a permit, but not if you are not taking payment...
- Why are trucks called lorries by the English, Is there a difference?
- What size van will accommodate IKEA furniture?
- Exploring The UK's Top Autumn Getaways
- Discover Britains's Hidden Tourist Gems!
- Exploring Britain's 20 Premier Coastal Towns
- Navigating Europe's Premier Music Festivals
- European Winter Breaks By Car
- Places To Stay On A European Road Trip
- Hiring A Truck To Drive To Europe? Read This First!
- The UK's Best Tech Conferences
- Moving House? A Handy Guide to Stress-Free Moving
- A Sporting Enthusiast's Guide To UK Events
- The Ultimate Advanced Road Driving Safety Guide
- 51 Best Ski & Snowboarding Resorts In Europe
- How to Plan a Glamping Trip Abroad
- Car Insurance Cover: A Guide
- The Best of Rural France
- How to Plan A Community Trip
- Car Journeys with Toddlers: Top Tips